Monday 26 March 2018

Book Review - Best Practice by Penny Parkes

Amazon UK
Title: Best Practice
Author: Penny Parkes
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 22nd February 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Love and laughter with the residents of Larkford is exactly what the doctor ordered!

Dr Alice Walker has become accomplished at presenting a façade to the world – to anyone watching, she is the epitome of style, composure and professionalism. But perhaps it was to be expected that the cracks might begin to show at some point. Thankfully Grace is on hand to offer both friendship and support when it’s needed most.

Meanwhile, Dr Holly Graham has her hands full both professionally and personally. Planning a wedding with Taffy Jones is challenging enough, even before some surprising news changes everything. At least beloved Larkford resident, Elsie, still has a few tricks left up her sleeve!

Dr Dan Carter, on the other hand, has decided to throw himself into his career – the best antidote he’s found to unrequited love. When tragedy strikes in the heart of Larkford, Dan makes it his mission to help the community.

From the moment I started Best Practice I felt as though I was amongst old friends, as I returned to Larkford and the wonderful array of characters there.  This is an incredibly well paced book and you are thrown into the action almost from the start, and there is plenty going on with every chapter. 

Due to the large number of characters, most of who since it is the third book, now feel like I know them well, there are many many storylines thread amongst this book, while at the heart of it is a campaign to save some services from being completely shut down amongst rural medical facilities. 

I am delighted that we got to see a lot more of Dr. Alice Walker who made her debut in Practice Makes Perfect, as she starts to become a vital member of The Practice, and we learn far more about what makes her tick as a person. 

Elsie is as always one of my favourite characters, and even I was surprised at the new depths of friendship and kindness she was able to display in this story.  Then there are doctors Holly and Taffy, who are a fabulous couple and there were instances involving them that had me welling up with tears, I as was absorbed with their story. 

There are a whole range of medical conditions and issues mentioned and discussed in this book, as well as themes of friendship, community spirit, love and just generally its a book that gives off a feel good vibe. 

I was so enthralled to be back within the door of The Practice that, I honestly can't comment either way as to whether it works as a standalone book.  I will say that the whole series so far has been fabulous, and that I found this one the fastest of the three to read so far, presumably as I am getting used to the writing style and characters. 

I am already thoroughly looking forward to and hoping for more books set around this fabulous cast of characters,  especially after having just read that ending, and I want to see how they all move forwards from there. 

If you are looking for an action packed book filled with both laughs and tears, then look no further than Best Practice. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

Thank you to everyone that told me I should read this, I completely agree. Looking forward to seeing your next pick for me this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...