Tuesday 28 November 2017

Book Review - The Place We Met by Isabelle Broom

Amazon UK
Title: The Place We Met
Author: Isabelle Broom
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Publication Date: 30th November 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


Taggie is only a few months into her job as a tour guide in Lake Como. She's rushed off her feet, but distraction is what she needs to forget why she left England.

Lucy arrives at Lake Como with her perfect new boyfriend, Pete. Falling fast in love, she's sure that life is about to start for her, it feels so right with him.

But as New Year's Eve approaches and the women meet by chance, it becomes clear this isn't the perfect place of new beginnings. While Lucy is willing to do anything to keep hold of Pete, the past Taggie so desperately wanted to escape is catching up with her . 

Lake Como at around Christmas and the New Year is the setting for this book. The story alternates between two rather different women, and my feelings towards both of them changed regularly as the story progressed.  

I did though find the book felt a bit slow to start, and it took for the two stories to merge to really hold my attention at which point I really did want to know what was going to happen next.  

Taggie is working as a tour guide in her beloved Lake Como having escaped misery back in England. It is not clear for a long while exactly why she is in Italy, but I found myself drawn into her life there anyway  I loved the various towns that are visited and all the various Christmassy activities that are happening in the area. 

Lucy decides to take her new boyfriend Pete on holiday to Lake Como, a place she loved as a child. I loved their initial sight seeing, especially the Christmas market.  Yet Lucy is a very insecure woman and is convinced that Pete is hiding things in his past, little does she know yet what it is. 

I found though that I struggled to really like or connect with any of the main characters, in fact Elsie, Taggie's friend was probably one of my favourite characters and she wasn't even in the book that much.  

As much as I tend to love Isabelle Bloom's books, this one just left me slightly flat, and to me although is still a very good book, is missing the brilliance of her other work. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Michael Joseph for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...