Monday 12 June 2017

Rachel Reads Randomly - Vote #65


 
Thank you everyone for your input last time. The results of the last vote were:

0 Votes - Mickey Take by Steven Hayward
1 Votes - Nobody Walks by Mick Herron 
1 Votes -  Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly 
5 Votes -  With A Friend Like You by Fanny Blake
8 Votes - Maggie Smith: A Biography by Michael Coveney

Well there was an overwhelming majority last time we did this,but as I explained in my apology post I just couldn't finish the book, which was a first for this feature.  I am though encouraged that a non fiction book can win occasionally. Hopefully we will have better luck this time! 

Since this is the last day of my Chances fortnight, it only seems fitting that this week we go for a book by an author I've never read before, and yet again crossing my fingers this doesn't backfire! 

Below is my initial theory for this feature, and then a bit further, what you are all waiting for... This weeks's vote! Enjoy!

I am also awful at deciding what book to read next, as I often have about 10 titles or authors jumping into my brain at any time, shouting at me to read them, and I tend to worry I have made the wrong decision while reading a perfectly good book. I am hoping this will save me having to make at least 1 choice a week, while possibly providing a review to the site of a book you all either love or are curious about yourselves. 

So what I am proposing, is my lovely loyal readers of Rachel's Random Reads, select one book for me to read a week, and I will post the review the following week. 

This week's random numbers are...

And the books these numbers correspond to are...


So the 5 choices with my gut feeling responses are:



9 - I Am The Secret Footballer by Anon - This is a book written by the person who wrote the Secret Footballer columns in a paper, I believe, and I think it gives insight into behind the scenes in football, which is a sport I love. 
25 - Cream Teas, Traffic Jams and Sunburn: The Great British Holiday by Brian Viner - Well this sounds like summery non fiction and I bet it takes in some lovely places along the British coastline...just hope there isn't too much rain in the book! 
191 - Bad Money by Louise Patten - I vaguely recall buying this and I'm fairly sure I want to read it, but the specifics are beyond me currently..so could be an interesting gamble! 
277 - A Falling Friend by Sue Featherstone and Susan Pape - I've met both of these authors recently, and I know I won their book in a competition. Whether its a book I'll enjoy is yet to be seen though! 
299 - While We Were Watching Downton Abbey by Wendy Wax - The title of this caught my eye in a sale a while back, and I suspect it could be quite a fun story. 

Realistically I know very little about any of these authors, or the books, but I do feel this is an interesting selection. The question of course is, in the interest of Chance Fortnight...which book should I take a chance on this week? 

Pick your favourite or the one you most want me to review, or just the one you are curious about, and leave me a comment below, before midnight on Wednesday. 

I look forward to seeing what I will be reading over the weekend, courtesy of you all. 

And authors, if its your book up on this feature, feel free to take part, vote for yourself, or stir up excitement amongst your fans! 

The explanation if you haven't seen the feature before. 


How is this going to work?

Every Monday, I am going to have a post like this, which is going to have some choices on it. I am planning on using random.org to select 7 random numbers, to coincide with my spreadsheet of unread books.  

I will from that produce a list of hopefully 5 books, I reserve the right to veto any books, and will give reasons for them, if it occurs.

I will take screenshots and post them, of the chosen books, and also give you my instinctive reactions to the choices (without checking blurbs or any other info about them, which could be interesting as there are probably many forgotten about books on my spreadsheet!). 

Your task is to post a comment on this post, with the book you would like me to read this week. At midnight on Wednesday I will take a tally of the votes and the book with the most, I will read and review for the following Monday, where you will also get a new choice post. 

In the event of a tie, I will chose which one appeals most, for the Monday review, and possibly try and read and review the other to appear when I can. 

I am hoping this will provide some variety to the books appearing, and will let me potentially read or discover some great authors that I have wanted to read but not got around to yet.

24 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about any of these so I'm going to say 191 Bad Money because the cover is one that would make me pick it up in a shop to take a closer look at the blurb on the back

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Twitter:

    Mummyof3‏ @iamjustme2017 3h3 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    While we were watching Downton Abbey........ Because everyone should watch it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok my choice is made after dithering between two of the books I'm going with 277 - A Falling Friend by Sue Featherstone and Susan Pape

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Twitter:

    Sue Featherstone‏ @SueF_Writer 4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Sue Featherstone Retweeted Rachel Gilbey
    Got to be A Falling Friend. But I would say that, wouldn't I? Bet @wordfocus agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jane's comment is interesting - having spent hours (days) coming up with book cover ideas for A Falling Friend, I know how difficult it is to get the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...oh, and I'd like to vote for A Falling Friend too (if I'm allowed?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote is for 277 - A FALLING FRIEND because I have read it and love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Falling Friend gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not really aware of any of these but drawn to the Downton Abbey one simply because of the title!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Twitter:

    Viv Writes‏ @VivWrites 7m7 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    the title 'when we were watching Downton Abbey' is sooo intriguing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for 191 Bad Money. Both the title and the cover look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Twitter:

    Sophie‏ @SophieRTB 15m15 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    Secret Footballer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Twitter:

    Suze Lavender‏ @SuzeLavender 23s24 seconds ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    A Falling Friend looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Twitter:

    Karen‏
    @wellreadpirate
    Following
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000 @SuzeLavender
    Add me to that list, too!!! Definitely curious about the Downton one, though ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will pick Cream Teas, Traffic Jams and Sunburn: The Great British Holiday by Brian Viner. Happy reading Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Twitter:

    Trevor Leck‏ @trevor_leck 5m5 minutes ago
    More
    Trevor Leck Retweeted Rachel Gilbey
    I recently admitted to being a big Downton Abbey fan, so it's the Downton Abbey book for me! And you? #books
    http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/books/trevor-leck-the-cubit-quest-1044888.html …

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Twitter:

    Yvonne~Me & My Books‏ @yvonnembee 37s37 seconds ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    I have read Falling Friend and it was good. But I live in Cornwall so know all about Cream Teas and traffic jams 😂

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Twitter:

    BookaholicDee‏ @BookaholicDee 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    Yay! Normal Monday transmission has resumed! 😄. Unfamiliar with all of these so based on title alone, the Downton Abby one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Twitter:

    Borrow A Book‏ @books2borrow 6h6 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    I think I would go for Bad Money by Louise Patten x

    ReplyDelete
  20. From Twitter:

    Phillipa Ashley‏ @PhillipaAshley 2h2 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    I don't know but I love the title of the Downton Abbey one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. From Twitter:

    Ella Louise Creasey‏ @kentlass123 28m28 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    Go for the last one xx <-- Wendy Wax

    ReplyDelete
  22. From Twitter:

    JasmineSparksAuthor‏ @J_Sparks_Author 4h4 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    #whilewewerewatchingdowntonabbey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...