Friday 23 June 2017

Book Review - The Summer of Impossible Things by Rowan Coleman

Amazon UK
Title: The Summer of Impossible Things
Author: Rowan Coleman
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Ebury Press
Publication Date: 29th June 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


How far would you go to save the person you love?
Luna is about to do everything she can to save her mother's life.
Even if it means sacrificing her own.

Easily the most accomplished and impressive book that Rowan Coleman has ever written. 

With every will in the world I was wasn't expecting to even like the book, and it was only due to it being written by an author that I greatly admire that I was willing to give it a go. 

Let me explain, I like my fiction incredibly contemporary and always worry if I know in advance there is any history in the book, I am also very skeptical and knowing that there was a time travel element in the book worried me too. However I did know that if it was all dealt with in a way that didn't wrankle me that I would be fine. And somehow having now read The Summer of Impossible Things, and despite the story not fully being realistically believable in a real world sense, I don't think the book would have worked any other way. 

In fact the main character Luna, does everything in her power to try and explain away what is happening to her, before fully embracing it, and instead of the book being confusing, I found it made complete and utter sense. I had the timelines straight in my mind, and ever what should have been a huge outlandish thing, was understated in a way that I can't fully explain. 

This is a story that is far more than those first elements that I was obsessing over. It is a story about love, possibly the purest form of love, from a daughter to her mother and sister.  The tale is beautifully written and drew me in completely, to the extent that I read the book in two sittings. 

Even when I wasn't reading the book, the characters and what was happening was playing on my mind, in fact I dread to start another book at the moment, as nothing will be able to compete.  I really can't explain the story, as I'm not talented enough to do is justice, for it really is a work of art. 

From the start you are aware that Luna is a scientist and that the author must have put a fair amount of research, so that she could explain things about space/time and just how they work. Although I'm not sure how much understanding I have of it, even now it certainly led an air of intellect to the book. 

Ultimately The Summer of Impossible Things is just that, it takes place in the summer, in New York,  where Luna experiences the impossible, and aims to make a believer out of the reader. It is an absolutely brilliant book and I would suggest you put your own beliefs on hold, and give it a go, or miss out on something really special. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Ebury Press for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...