Monday 15 May 2017

Rachel Reads Randomly - Vote #64


 
Thank you everyone for your input last time. The results of the last vote were:

2 Votes - Perfect Mayhem by Aimee Horton
4 Votes - Don't Marry Thomas Clark by Celia Hayes
5 Votes -  The Secrets We Keep by Colette Caddle 
5 Votes -  The Wedding Diary by Margaret James
6 Votes - Summer with the Country Village Vet by Zara Stoneley 

What an incredibly close vote this week, it could have gone pretty much in any direction, but it went with the cute Summer with the Country Village Vet and I loved reading that book. Already waiting with bated breath for the next book in the series! 

This week it is the turn of the paperbacks again, as I'm continuing in my battle to reduce the amount of unread paperbacks to a more reasonable number (yes I can hear you all laughing!). 

Please note - The winning book's review will be going live on Monday 22nd May, but then the next vote won't be until 12th June, due to a weekend mini break, and potentially working the following weekend, thus meaning I just won't have the time to read and do the posts for a couple of weeks. 

Below is my initial theory for this feature, and then a bit further, what you are all waiting for... This weeks's vote! Enjoy!

I am also awful at deciding what book to read next, as I often have about 10 titles or authors jumping into my brain at any time, shouting at me to read them, and I tend to worry I have made the wrong decision while reading a perfectly good book. I am hoping this will save me having to make at least 1 choice a week, while possibly providing a review to the site of a book you all either love or are curious about yourselves. 

So what I am proposing, is my lovely loyal readers of Rachel's Random Reads, select one book for me to read a week, and I will post the review the following week. 

This week's random numbers are...


And the books these numbers correspond to are...

So the 5 choices with my gut feeling responses are:


7 - Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly - It's been a while since I last read a book by this author, I know I was excited when I was gifted a copy of this by another blogger, but I just haven't sat down to read it. 
21 - With A Friend Like You by Fanny Blake - I really enjoy reading this author too, been meaning to pick this book to read for a while, know that I'm looking forward to her latest book which is on my review stack! 
51 - Maggie Smith: A Biography by Michael Coveney - Gorgeous looking hardback book, which I won in a giveaway the other year. I tend to prefer autobiographies though so could be challenging, but interesting. 
52 - Nobody Walks by Mick Herron - I honestly know nothing about this, I think I won it, and put it on a stack of books as it looked like my sort of book. Can't recall much more but know its crime/thriller. 
64 - Mickey Take by Steven Hayward - Was gifted a copy of this by the author at an event and it does keep catching my eye, and I do hope to read it sooner rather than later. 

Another interesting selection this time around, I'm really not sure which I would go for myself, as a few of them are quite high up on my I really should get around to reading this piles, and the others could be a complete surprise if they are picked. I always read your comments and love hearing from you all, so please do take part and let me know. 

Pick your favourite or the one you most want me to review, or just the one you are curious about, and leave me a comment below, before midnight on Wednesday. 

I look forward to seeing what I will be reading over the weekend, courtesy of you all. 

And authors, if its your book up on this feature, feel free to take part, vote for yourself, or stir up excitement amongst your fans! 

The explanation if you haven't seen the feature before. 


How is this going to work?

Every Monday, I am going to have a post like this, which is going to have some choices on it. I am planning on using random.org to select 7 random numbers, to coincide with my spreadsheet of unread books.  

I will from that produce a list of hopefully 5 books, I reserve the right to veto any books, and will give reasons for them, if it occurs.

I will take screenshots and post them, of the chosen books, and also give you my instinctive reactions to the choices (without checking blurbs or any other info about them, which could be interesting as there are probably many forgotten about books on my spreadsheet!). 

Your task is to post a comment on this post, with the book you would like me to read this week. At midnight on Wednesday I will take a tally of the votes and the book with the most, I will read and review for the following Monday, where you will also get a new choice post. 

In the event of a tie, I will chose which one appeals most, for the Monday review, and possibly try and read and review the other to appear when I can. 

I am hoping this will provide some variety to the books appearing, and will let me potentially read or discover some great authors that I have wanted to read but not got around to yet.

15 comments:

  1. I'm going to vote for 52 - Nobody Walks by Mick Herron because I've just finished reading his Slough House series of books and absolutely loved them - then passed them on to OH whose taste in books is totally different from mine and he loved them to, which just goes to show what a broad appeal they have. The books I read are spy stories, and yet are not full of glamourous James Bond style spies but ordinary people with faults and problems which to me makes the characters far more realistic.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Twitter:

    Emma Crowley‏ @emthebookworm 40m40 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    This week my vote goes to Fanny Blake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Facebook:

    Ronnie Henry Fanny Blake defo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, you've made it difficult, nothing really jumping at me but I would choose 21 - With A Friend Like You by Fanny Blake out of that lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fancy the Maggie Smith autobiography- she's a very versatile actress and I think the autobiography would be facinating -go for that one Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Twitter:

    Holly Martin Author‏ @HollyMAuthor 6h6 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    Ooooh i bet maggie smith has has an amazing life, if that's a proper biography with anecdotes from her, my vote goes to that one

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Twitter:

    BookaholicDee‏ @BookaholicDee 6m6 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000 @annebonnybook
    Maggie Smith all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Twitter:

    MargaretJamesAuthor‏ @majanovelist 1h1 hour ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000 @AngelaBritnell
    Maggie Smith - am big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From TwitteR:

    Angela Britnell‏ @AngelaBritnell 50m50 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @majanovelist @gilbster1000
    Love Maggie Smith should be an interesting book

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Twitter:

    Yvonne Bastian‏ @yvonnembee 38m38 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    Ooh Maggie Smith, I think she is brilliant and funny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read and fanny Blake that would my choice, that cover jumps out at me

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Twitter:

    Georgia Hill‏ @georgiawrites 39m39 minutes ago
    More
    Georgia Hill Retweeted Rachel Gilbey
    Think I'd go with Maggie, Rachel. I do like a biography/autobiography ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Between Sisters is good.
    I also think Maggie Smiths biography would be interesting

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Twitter:

    Ella Louise Creasey‏ @kentlass123 5h5 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    One of them really jump out at me but would choose the first book <-- Cathy Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...