Friday 12 May 2017

Book Review - The Darkest Lies by Barbara Copperthwaite #AroundTheUKIn144Books #Lincolnshire

Amazon UK
Title: The Darkest Lies
Author: Barbara Copperthwaite
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 12th May 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


A mother desperate for the truth. A daughter hiding a terrible secret.

Melanie Oak appeared to have the perfect life. Married to her childhood sweetheart, Jacob, the couple live with their beautiful, loving, teenage daughter, Beth, in a pretty village.

Nothing can shake her happiness - until the day that Beth goes missing and is discovered beaten almost to the point of death, her broken body lying in a freezing creek on the marshes near their home.

Consumed with grief, Melanie is determined to find her daughter’s attacker. Someone in the village must have seen something. Why won’t they talk? 

As Melanie tries to piece together what happened to Beth, she discovers that her innocent teenager has been harbouring some dark secrets of her own. The truth may lie closer to home and put Melanie’s life in terrible danger…

A completely gripping psychological thriller with a twist you won’t see coming. Fans of The Girl on the Train, The Sister and Before I Let You In will be captivated.

Gripping and shocking with its many layers of deceit. I loved how I was kept guessing and second guessing myself as I tried to unravel what was happening in front of me, ahead of the characters. 

There are a couple of perspectives in this story, Beth who is clearly up to something, but it isn't really clear initially what, there is a voice that appears every now and then who is clearly a person you wouldn't want to ever meet, as they are dastardly. And then there is Melanie's voice, who is the main character and yet the hardest one to describe. 

For Melanie is going through a living nightmare, which leads her to question everything and everyone she has ever known on the search for the truth. At times I wonder if she is on the verge of a breakdown, and others I found myself really sympathizing with her situation. 

I was hooked from the first few pages, where I had the feeling that something big was about to happen, but wasn't really sure which direction the story would go. From there my interest and addictive nature were drawn in further and further, until I lost track of time. I intended at one point that I was just going to read "one more chapter" but half an hour later, I realised I had read about another 20% of the story, and reluctantly had to leave the book until the following day, for fear of an incredibly late night. 

I was very impressed by just how well this book had been crafted, with  every time a new piece of evidence appears, or a new theory comes out, a whole bunch of other questions come to mind, and I found myself wondering just who if anyone was even telling the truth. 

This is the first book I've read by Barbara Copperthwaite, and it certainly won;t be the last. The Darkest Lies captured my imagination and had me completely enthralled in the action. I found it to be very well written and a story that got under my skin while I was trying to figure everything out. 

Thank you so much to Bookouture and Netgalley for this copy of the book, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this incredible review. One of the biggest compliments a writer can be given, I believe, is that they've made the reader lose track of time. I really appreciate you taking the time to read The Darkest Lies, and the fact I respect your blog so much makes your words all the more precious x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...