Saturday 29 April 2017

Book Review - Summer Breeze and Afternoon Teas by Lindsey Paley - Back Catalogue Books - #AroundTheUKIn144Books #Cumbria



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

Having bought books 3-6 of this series recently I realised I should probably read another book of it, so here is my review of book 2 of the Camille Carter series.

Amazon UK
Title: Summer Breeze and Afternoon Teas
Author: Lindsey Paley
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Purple Heather Publishing
Publication Date: 21st June 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


When Millie Carter is invited back to Craiglea Manor to run the Summer Breeze cookery course she is delighted, and jumps at the chance to renew her friendship with Hannah, Robbie and Archie. 

At the annual summer garden party, there are cucumber sandwiches, asparagus quiches, clotted cream scones with lashings of raspberry jam - what more could a girl wish for? Especially as the sun is shining and she can wear her high-heeled sequinned sandals and strappy chiffon tea dress.

The Earl Grey and pink Prosecco flow and laughter ripples around the fragrant gardens. And yet her students seem totally disinterested in whipping up her special-recipe summer berry puddings, or her crisp apricot pavlovas and gooey cherry-and-almond macaroons. 

When tragedy strikes, there’s only one place she can turn - Fergus McKenzie. Once again she must whisk-joust with the attractive master of mockery who is now the local police Inspector.

Summer Breeze and Afternoon Teas is a delicious story of love and friendship, and what happens when a sprinkle of envy is added to the mix.

This is Book Two in the Camille Carter series - 'Snowflakes and Christmas Cakes' is Book One.

I've really enjoyed this second book in the Camille Carter series. I loved catching up with characters from the first book back at Craiglea Manor. 

The story starts nice and gently with a summer garden party, with descriptions of some of the edible goodies available, especially Millie's French Patisserie contributions, which had me wanting to join the party. We are also introduced to the guests that will be on the cookery course Millie will be running that week. 

However things don't go exactly to plan, which is when this book turns into far more of a cozy mystery, and I really enjoyed seeing if I could guess the culprit. I was convinced for ages that I knew exactly who did it and why but as is often the case not only were my first instincts wrong, so were my second! 

Summer Breeze and Afternoon Teas can definitely be read as a standalone novel, as all the important bits from book 1 are mentioned. It also is a great sequel, due to continual character growth, being able to catch up with old friends, and generally being a quick and easy read that was highly enjoyable.  

I am already eager to read the rest of the series, and hope it stays at this standard as they are such entertaining stories, and snapshots into the lives of Millie and her friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...