Saturday 1 April 2017

Book Review - Star Fish by Nicola May - Back Catalogue Books - #AroundTheUKIn144Books #Berkshire



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 


I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

Given I have an interview with Nicola May today, I thought it would be fitting to read one of her back catalogue too. I had five unread books by her sitting on my kindle, and as we all know I am rubbish at making decisions, to my bestie Alison picked for me, and I have to say she picked well!

Amazon UK
Title: Star Fish
Author: Nicola May
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Accent Press
Publication Date: 5th May 2015
Rating: 4 Stars

Amy Anderson has a plan: to find her ‘soul mate’ by dating her way through the twelve signs of the zodiac.

Tired of looking for love, the dreamy Piscean decides than an astrological dating agency is the only way to meet the man of her dreams.
Who will finally win Amy’s love? Will it be Ted the Arian photographer with a passion for ice skating, or Laurence, the Libran IT whizz kid who likes to get behind the wheel of a fast car? 

Or how about Capricorn Chris, the owner of Starr & Son, the dating agency?

I love romantic comedies that have a heavy dating element, and the idea of trying to date your way through the twelve signs of the zodiac really amused me, even though I am not sure that I believe in astrological compatibility. 

The first thing that struck me about Star Fish, was Amy and her base similarities with myself. We are both pisces, we are both single and had I read this book a month ago we would have been the same age, so I automatically felt an affinity with her. 

As a result I thoroughly enjoyed meeting her friends, and seeing her hilarious dating antics. She even finds a dating agency that matches people based on star sign, so all she has to do is pick the men, and see where the fates take her. 

We are introduced to all manner of men, in a variety of creative dating scenarios. Some of them I liked a lot more than others, and then there were the absolute nightmares but of course they had the most sexual chemistry with Amy. 

I also loved meeting Amy's huge group of friends, there is a good variety of personality types within them, and generally they are all great. They are all supportive in different way's of Amy's dating mission, and during the course of the book we learn about their romantic journeys too. 

Each chapter starts with a horoscope, either for Amy, or a potential date, which sets the tone for the chapter. I really enjoyed Amy and all of her quirks, although I noticed a distinct lack of frogs in her smelly pond, even though she seemed to like her frogs and her pet cat!

In a book that features ice skating, weddings, go karting, incredibly ugly rich men with speech impediments, horse racing, embarrassing incidents and all manner of other antics, I was very amused the entire time, and really enjoyed the experience of reading Star Fish. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Nicola May's books, but this is one I haven't read. It sounds like a fun and amusing read. Great idea for another bookish post, I look forward to seeing what others you review on this topic.
    Amanda.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...