Monday 17 April 2017

Book Review - The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #60

Amazon UK
Title:  The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes
Author: Anna McPartlin
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Black Swan
Publication Date: 1st January 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Here is a truth that can’t be escaped: for Mia ‘Rabbit’ Hayes, life is coming to an end . . .

Rabbit Hayes loves her life, ordinary as it is, and the extraordinary people in it.

She loves her spirited daughter, Juliet; her colourful, unruly family; the only man in her big heart, Johnny Faye.

But it turns out the world has other plans for Rabbit, and she’s OK with that. Because she has plans for the world too, and only a handful of days left to make them happen.

Here is a truth that won’t be forgotten: this is a story about laughing through life’s surprises and finding the joy in every moment.

Heartbreaking...emotional...beautifully written...compelling are just some of the words that could be used to describe The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes. Part of me wants to just call it indescribable and a say that everyone should read this book, and whatever I saw I know I can't do this story justice. 

Although I didn't cry, there were many many occasions during the story where I found a lump in my throat and was on the verge of tears. A lot of the time they were just one liners, but were so well written that they got to me. 

In some respects you pretty much know how the book will end, almost before you begin, but to not read it would be so wrong. There is a great deal of hope, and I was crossing my fingers that my assumption on the finish would be incorrect, but regardless the story is brilliant. 

Split into parts that signify each day that Rabbit Hayes is in the hospice, it really is a countdown, and as there were less and less pages left, I found myself dreading the next day signifier, just incase it was the last, as I didn't want to run out of book at any point. 

Each Day, and chapter is split into multiple focal points, which thankfully have character subheaders to them, so you were always aware of who you are focusing on. Some of the characters we saw a lot of than others, and it was really helpful, as you got to know all the members of Rabbit's family in great details. 

A lot of Rabbit's sections were her sleeping and reliving the past, specifically the just as heartbreaking story of her first and only love. I enjoyed reading Rabbit and Johnny's sections and early on at least there were some quite light hearted moments and some lovely conversations between the two. 

I found it was Juliet's parts that really got to my heartstrings though, she is Rabbit's 12 year old daughter, and has been looking after Rabbit for a good few years. She is confused, in denial and afraid, but seems to get on really well with her cousins. Some of the best moments involved Juliet, and her interactions with other family members. 

During the course of the book I learnt a lot about the various family members, and couldn't believe the rollercoaster of emotions I was spending on my involvement with the story. 

Although I found The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes to be utterly compelling reading, and I was completely hooked on it, I did find myself having to put the book down at regular intervals just to catch my breath and regain my composure just so I could carry on. 

I can't believe I had this wonderful story sitting in my TBR pile for a few years, unread as it was so utterly amazing. 

Thank you so much to everyone that has voted for me to read this book I can completely see why Emma Crowley has been telling me to read this for ages! What a fabulous book that is for the 60th week of running this feature. Don't forget to take a look at this weeks vote and take part yet again! 

3 comments:

  1. Told you it was wonderful! So glad you enjoyed it. I read another of hers last year - Somewhere Inside of Happy - and it was brilliant too. Made my top reads list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow fantastic review Rachel. I feel I should definitely read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's on my TBR pile too and i can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...