Saturday 1 April 2017

Back Catalogue Books - Q&A with Nicola May



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

I’m Nicola May, author of eight romcom novels. All of which I like to put under the genre ‘chick lit with a kick.’

1) Please tell me about your first book, and what started you writing in the first place

My first book was Working it Out. About Ruby Matthews, who on getting made redundant from her marketing job decides to undertake 12 jobs in 12 months to find the one of her dreams. 

I have no great lightbulb moment about starting to write. I was a late starter at 30 too, but basically I got dared to run a half marathon by work colleagues and wrote a diary alongside my training. I realised that I could write humour and had some form of talent and went from there.

2)  How many books have you written and what are they?

I’ve written 7 full length romcoms and 1 novella as follows:

Love Me Tinder 
The SW19 Club
Christmas Evie (won award for Best Author Read at Festival of Romance 2014 – novella)
Let Love Win (sequel to Working it Out – nominated for Best Author Read at Festival of Romance 2013)
The School Gates (won award for Best Author Read at Festival of Romance 2012)
Better Together
Working it Out
Star Fish

3)  Which book are you most proud of writing?

The School Gates. I was recovering from a hysterectomy after losing twins and it was a very dark time. However, I managed to write a good book, that won an award and is still my bestseller.

4)  Which book was your favourite to write?

Working it Out as there are many very funny, but also touching scenes.

5) Who are your favourite characters from your books and why?

I’m still fond of Ruby from Working it Out and Let Love Win, she’s a very ballsy character with a great sense of humour.

6) If you could go back and change anything from any of your books, what would it be, and why?

I wouldn’t change a thing. I see writing as an ongoing craft and I have learnt something new from each one.

7) Which of your covers if your favourite and why?

I like the cover of  Love Me Tinder, my current novel. It’s modern, bright and creates intrigue before even opening the book.

8) Have you ever thought about changing genres, if so what else would you like to write?

I would write a gritty crime drama.

9) Looking forward can you let us know what you are working on next?

I have a few ideas bubbling around my head at the moment. I am currently concentrating on promoting Love Me Tinder, out in paperback on February 2 and then I will need to get cracking on the next one.

10) I dare not ask for a favourite author, but is there any author’s back catalogue you admire and why?

I adore Milly Johnson, Carole Matthews and Marian Keyes. Outside my genre, Patrick Gale. He writes about family dynamics. Nothing is ever sugar coated and he has created some magnificently flawed characters.

11) Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your back catalogue of books?

Just that I’m very proud of what I’ve achieved to date and I hope that everybody enjoys reading them.

Thank you so much Nicola for sharing with us about your back catalgoue. It turns out that I have either read or I own all of your books, I just need to read more of them!

Biography
Award winning author Nicola May lives in Ascot in Berkshire. Her hobbies include watching films that involve a lot of swooning, crabbing in South Devon, eating flapjacks and enjoying a flutter on the horses.

For more information and to purchase any of Nicola May’s books, please go to
www.nicolamay.com

Twitter: @nicolamay1
Facebook: nicolamayauthor

Instagram:author_nicola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...