Wednesday 23 November 2016

Book Review - Trust Me I Lie by Louise Marley

Amazon UK
Title:  Trust Me I Lie
Author: Louise Marley
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied review copy
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 20th June 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


When Milla Graham arrives in the picture-perfect village of Buckley, she tells everyone she’s investigating the murder of her mother who died eighteen years ago. But there’s already one Milla Graham buried in the churchyard and another about to be found dead in the derelict family mansion.

Obviously she’s lying.

Detective Inspector Ben Taylor has no life outside the police force. Even his own colleagues think he’s a boring stick-in-the-mud. But now he’s met Milla and his safe, comfortable life has been turned upside down. She’s crashed his car, emptied his wallet and is about to get him fired.

He knows she’s a liar because she cheerfully told him so.

Unless she’s lying about that too …

Just who is the real Milla Graham? 

Is she the 6 year old girl who died in a tragic fire 18 years ago, which wiped out most of her family? 

Is she the 24 year old girl who has just been found murdered, back in the house that is now derelict from the family? 

or...

Is she the girl who is definitely alive and kicking, claiming to be Milla, who has run into DI Ben Taylor in odd circumstances and now their paths keep crossing? Only one thing about this one, she claims she lies a lot, so what can you really trust that she says. 

Those were the questions on my lips as I started to unravel the truth in this intriguing and utterly unputdownable story. I was so absorbed in what I was reading, that I haven no idea what happened with half of my commute home tonight, as I didn't notice anything other than finding out just what was a lie, and just who Milla Graham is!

I thought I would be confused or annoyed with a character that we know likes lieing, but in a way I found it more fun to just take everything at face value until proven otherwise. This way I could be surprised at regular intervals while my brain was processing everything else that was going on to try and see if I could come to any conclusions ahead of the book. 

All the girl claiming to be Milla that is alive, wants is to discover just who it was that killed her mother all those years ago, and ideally exact revenge. As she slowly meets people that were around on that fateful day, we are introduced to all sorts of characters...and she keeps bumping into Ben too while he investigates a murder. 

This is the first time I have read a book by Louise Marley, and if this is her general standard of writing, then I am clearly missing out on a gem, and will need to rectify that in the  future. I was so impressed by how fast the book drew me in, and had me wondering about various things. In fact I even had trouble sleeping the night after I first started the book. 

Trust Me I Lie, is part mystery, part romantic comedy (yes there are some funny bits), some violence but not gruesome and generally and all around fantastic book. It is easy to read, reasonably quick paced and gets your mind continually thinking about the the story, even when you are no longer reading it.  I loved it! 

Thank you to Louise Marley for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Rachel! What a lovely review! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...