Saturday 26 November 2016

Back Catalogue Books - Q&A with Sharon McGregor



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

My guest today is Sharon McGregor, so let's find out all about her books.

1) Please tell me about your first book, and what started you writing in the first place

The first book I wrote was Island Charms, a cosy mystery, but the first one published was Northern Lights, a romantic suspense. I had been writing short stories for years, but I was between jobs, working part-time only, and I was looking for a project to take my mind off my lack of employment. Once I started, I was hooked.

2) How many books have you written and what are they?

I write in two genres-romance novellas and cosy mysteries. The romances number five now-Northern Lights, Autumn Dreams, Acres of Dreams, Fiona's Knight of Dreams and a Christmas one, All's Fair In Love and Arson. So far, I have three cosies published-Island Charms, Murder At The Island Spa (second in the Island series), and Old Shadows, New Murder. Another mystery, Five Can Keep a Secret, is scheduled for the end of this year and two more completed books are slated for 2017 release-Murder Is Handy(second in the Boarding Kennel series) and Escape to Mulligan Lake.


3) Which book are you most proud of writing?

I am most proud of Island Charms because it was my first-born. I began writing it with doubts and anticipation. My experience to that time had been limited to short stories and I was flying by the seat of my pants-a scary thing for someone terrified of flying.


4) Which book was your favourite to write?
I think Acres of Dreams was my favourite. It is a historical romance with beginnings in my own family history. My grandmother was born in Ireland in the 1880s, one of twelve children. At the age of 21, she was sent to Canada to live with a sister and find a husband. She met a cousin of sorts, married him, and they headed west to homestead on the Manitoba prairie. Other than its beginnings, the story is entirely fictional, but I felt a deep family connection as I wrote this story. 


5) Who are your favourite characters from your books and why?

I feel an attachment to Abby, the heroine of the Island series. She has reached that mature age where she is financially independent, single, and should be able to control her life-except for the odd dead body that turns up. Her children are grown and mainly self-sufficient. She is divorced but somehow unable to banish her ex from the edges of her life. Her romantic life is often in shambles as she strives to overcome her lack of self-assurance in her relationships with men. Through it all, her family and friends take precedence in her life.

6) If you could go back and change anything from any of your books, what would it be, and why?

I think I would go back to Acres of Dreams, and cover a longer time period. I wrote the story quickly, with deep emotional attachment, almost in a stream of consciousness. I think if I could do it again, I would give a little more time to some of the secondary characters and allow Robert and Kate more time to settle into their new life. I may still do this, as I have at the back of my mind a sequel, following their family as it grows.

7) Which of your covers if your favourite and why?


I love the cover for Murder At The Island Spa, designed by Traci Markou. She captures beautifully the balance between objects that display the soothing rituals of the spa with the dagger, the frightening interloper that threatens that serenity.

8) Have you ever thought about changing genres, if so what else would you like to write?

I've satisfied any itchy feet I might have by already writing in two genres-romance and cosy mystery. Switching from one to the other gives me new energy and satisfies any roaming tendencies I might have. I usually add suspense to my romances and try to insert humour into them both.

9) Looking forward can you let us know what you are working on next?

Aside from the three completed mysteries scheduled for release over the next year, I am working on Number three in the Island series-Missing on Quadra Island, and Number three in the Boarding Kennel series, as yet without a title. I have always liked to work on two projects at a time. If my characters become obstinate or uncooperative in one work, I take a break from them and switch to the other for a time. When I am ready to face the difficult one, I usually discover time has allowed me to resolve the issues.

10)   I dare not ask for a favourite author, but is there any author’s back catalogue you admire and why?

I love the Kate Ellis Wesley Petersen series. They not only involve a present day mystery but an archaeological one as well. The series does follow a certain amount of personal change in the main characters but not in a way that dictates they be read in order. This series combines two of my favourite things-mystery and history.

11) Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your back catalogue of books?

It's strange, but the thing that surprises me most is their number. When I began writing, it seemed to take forever to finish a work. At times, I felt my output must be about 50 words a day. Now I look back and see the numbers rising quickly for such a short time span, especially when I add in the books already completed and waiting for release.  There are always black moments when I think I'll never be able to complete another story, but then I look back at the road behind to see how far I've come.

Thank you so much Sharon for that fascinating interview. I'm so impressed that you can write in two genres, and you have some lovely book covers.

About Sharon McGregor

Sharon McGregor lives on the west coast of British Columbia on beautiful Vancouver Island.She worked her way west from the Canadian prairies to escape the cold and snow. Her imagination and story weaving got its start when she was an only child living on a farm. She’s moved on from cowgirl dreams to romance and mystery, but hasn’t lost her love for horses.

When not writing or reading, she’s busy following the activities of her grandchildren, walking the dogs, and making travel plans.

Amazon UK purchase link-https://goo.gl/41akj5
Amazon.com Author page-https://goo.gl/vtWft4
Twitter-@sharonmcgr
LinkedIn-https://goo.gl/RDivMC
Webpge and blog-www.sharonmcgregor.com

Facebook author page-https://www.facebook.com/SharonMcGregorauthor/

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...