Saturday 29 October 2016

Book Review - The Last Days of Summer by Sophie Pembroke - Back Catalogue Books


Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!
Amazon UK
Title: The Last Days of Summer
Author: Sophie Pembroke
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date: 9th June 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Escape to the beautiful world of Rosewood this summer
The only feel good summer read you’ll need, The Last Days of Summer is perfect for fans of Harriet Evans, Debbie Johnson and Lucy Diamond.

Saskia has always loved Rosewood. It was her family home, her sanctuary and her memories of it are vividly alive even after two years of being absent. Never did she think she would be standing in the rose garden afraid to cross the threshold and own up to the past she had run away from.

So much about Rosewood hasn’t changed, everyone still dresses for dinner, sips cocktails on the terrace, her father cooks every delicious meal and her beloved grandfather still tells spellbinding stories. But the cold reception from her grandmother, Ellie’s complete avoidance of her and the judgmental gaze of Edward, her grandfather’s new assistant (who seems to know more than enough about her past), are all new to Kia.

All Kia needs to do is attend her grandparent’s Golden Wedding Party and make it to the train station without her secret coming out. What could possible go wrong in just one weekend?

It was the announcement of a book called Christmas at Rosewood which triggered me to buy and then read The Last Days of Summer. You see I love Sophie Pembroke's Christmas titles, so clearly want to read the newly announced book, but given its the sequel to The Last Days of Summer, and I had some time on my hands I thought I may as well play catch up and read this. 

All I can say is don't wait for your own trigger, just go out and read this book, it turns out that the author is not just a very accomplished festive story teller, but can write a big summer story too. I was shocked multiple times during the story at the way the plot was progressing. This is definitely an unpredictable book. 

I felt the story started off not slow, per se, but perhaps sedately while you learn just who Saskia is, why she hasn't been back to the family home for two years and why she still may not be entirely welcome. We also learn just who the full family is, all three generations of them. 

When Nathaniel, Saskia's beloved grandfather makes an announcement during the Gold Wedding Party the cat is thrown amongst the pigeons, but just what are all the members of the family hiding that will case them to react the ways they do. 

After the announcement, I found the book became utterly addictive and I just couldn't put it down. I couldn't wait to see how it would all work out and trust me when I say there are a lot of turns you probably won't see coming and a lot of nice touches. 

The Last Days of Summer is a fantastic story of family, or intrigue and of those skeletons in the family closet you generally wish had been forgotten about. There is a romance element in there too, as well as a strong storyline of forgiveness. It is the story of Kia's relationship of those around her, and how although having an imagination is fantastic, its great to be able to see "the truth in fiction". 

I will certainly be reading more books by the author, and not just at Christmas time, and I definitely can't wait to return to Rosewood, which is the marvellous family home, and all its lovely grounds, in the winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...