Friday 28 October 2016

Book Review - The Killing Game by J.S. Carol

Amazon UK
Title: The Killing Game
Author: J.S. Carol
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 13th October 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Imagine you are having lunch at an exclusive restaurant, filled with Hollywood’s hottest stars.
And a masked gunman walks in and takes everyone hostage. 
You must bargain for your life against a twisted individual who knows everything about you.
He also has a bomb set to detonate if his heart rate changes. 
If he dies. You die.
You have four hours to stay alive.
What would you do? 

The Killing Game is easily a content for thriller of the year, and in my top books for the year. If only every thriller could get my adrenalin pumping, my heart racing and grip me for 3-4 hours of solid reading, and I would probably read a lot more thrillers. 

For this is truly special, and I suspected it could be when I read the blurb. When the few lines on the back cover of a book, hook you in the way this one did, it is usually a very good sign of what is inside the covers. 

The Killing Game reads like a live action film, you are seeing everything that is going on, from a couple of view points, to really get a feel for all angles of the action as it plays out. In this case there are the people inside the restaurant, the one that isn't meant to be there, the television reporters both in the studio and at the scene, as well as hints as to what the police are thinking. 

All of these people are all just wondering a few things, who is the masked gunman, will anyone get out alive and why? Now I'm not going to tell you any of that, as it would completely spoil the enjoyment of this story. 

The question I'd like you think about though is what you would do if in a siege situation? Would you give into demands, try and be a hero, or just pray you were insignificant enough not to be noticed.? And how would you feel? Well to get some ideas of how you may feel, read The Killing Game, as it gives what I can only imagine to be a very authentic account of such a situation, and how it could play out. 

The whole book takes place over four hours, in half hour segments, and with it, new revelations are brought about, more links are made between everyone and the outcome had me gasping with shock. My heart is still racing as I write this, I was so absorbed in the action. 

This is my first book by JS Carol, and I am so glad I took a chance on it. This is definitely the sort of thriller that I love to read, fast paced, well written, has you gripped and thinking from the first page, and more importantly impossible to put down. 

A word of warning though, only start this when you have time to read for a decent chunk of time. Thankfully I had a free afternoon, and was able to read the book in one sitting. Had I been doing my normal thing of commute reading, I dread to think where I would have ended up today, as for a few hours I was completely unaware of the world around me. 

The Killing Game is a pulsating and addictive thriller and was a joy to read. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Bookouture for my copy of this book. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...