Monday 17 October 2016

Book Review - Christmas at the Cornish Cafe by Phillipa Ashley - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #42

Amazon UK
Title: Christmas at the Cornish Cafe
Author: Phillipa Ashley
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 13th October 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


The festive, feel-good follow-up to Summer at the Cornish Cafe.

Christmas will be slightly less turbulent than summer, won’t it? Demi certainly hopes so.

She and Cal are keeping their fledgling relationship under wraps for now. But then Kit Bannen, a hunky, blond – and somewhat mysterious – writer arrives at Kilhallon Resort, and not everyone is charmed. Cal is sure that Kit is hiding something. But is he the only one guarding a secret?

Demi is busy baking festive treats for the newly opened Demelza’s cafe, but when Cal’s ex Isla arrives to shoot scenes for her new drama, Demi can’t help but worry that things aren’t quite over between them. Kit flirts with both women, fuelling Cal’s suspicions that Kit has hidden motives for staying on at Kilhallon. Then Cal has to go to London, leaving Demi and Kit to decorate the cafe for Christmas . . . all by themselves.

A storm is brewing in more ways than one. As surprises unfold and truths are uncovered, can Demi and Cal finally open up to each other about their feelings?

This second novel in the bestselling Cornish Cafe series is the perfect book to curl up with this Christmas.

Where on earth do I start? I am sitting here pretty much gobsmacked, about how much I enjoyed the book, and how it really was a book of two halves, or parts at least. There is a lot of light hearted moments, and build up to the magical time of year. Demi loves Christmas, and is hoping this will be one of her best ever. Cal had a nightmare of a Christmas last year, and so is hoping things will be a lot better this time. 

The resort opens, as does the Cafe and there are mouthwatering mentions of so many delicious treats. I'm not a fan of mince pies, but even I wanted to eat the ones being created by Demi at Demelza's. 

There is a huge amount of drama in Christmas at the Cornish Cafe, which will have you hooked and on the edge of your seat. There were moments when I really had no clue what was going to happen next, and I love it when I am surprised as much as I was by where the story takes us. 

A fair amount of more serious topics are discussed, including exactly what happened to Cal that led to him coming home to Kilhallan. The weather, not normally the most interesting of subjects plays a massive part in this story, and not just in one storyline, but a few. It is a turbulent run up to Christmas this year in Cornwall. 

Christmas at the Cornish Cafe is the second book in the Penwith Trilogy, and I think it does work as a standalone, as a lot of the key plot points from the first book are mentioned which will help a new person catch up. I will say though how much I am looking forward to the third book, as this series continues to impress me. 

This is only the second book I have read by this author and I have loved both of them. The descriptions really draw you in and I felt as though I was there, living through various aspects of the story alongside Cal and Demi. There is a fantastic chemistry between the pair, and at one point I was very tempted to go on social media to ask if I was allowed to knock the heads together of two fictional characters...I felt that strongly about it, as they just couldn't seen to realise how the other felt a lot of the time! 

Overall a fantastic story, that will keep you gripped from start to finish, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

Thank you to everyone that voted last week. This was certainly a popular choice and a worthy winner. I do intend to read and review the other two this season, just not sure when yet. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...