Monday 6 June 2016

Book Review - The Chic Boutique on Baker St. by Rachel Dove - Rachel Reads Randomly Vote #28

Amazon UK
Title: The Chic Boutique on Baker St
Author: Rachel Dove
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Mills & Boon
Publication Date: 21st April 2016
Rating: 4.5 Stars


The perfect escape to the country…

Recently single and tired of the London rat race Amanda is determined to make her dreams of setting up an idyllic countryside boutique come true, and the picturesque village of Westfield is the perfect place to
make a fresh start.

Local vet Ben is the golden boy of Westfield, especially to resident gossip Agatha Mayweather, who is determined to help Ben get his life back together after his wife left.

When a chance encounter outside the ‘chic boutique’ sets sparks flying between Amanda and Ben, Agatha is itching to set them up. But are Amanda and Ben really ready for romance?

You can tell I'm a Londoner, when I first spotted this book, I was convinced based on the title that it would be about a chic clothes boutique on the famous Baker Street (home of Sherlock Holmes), and when I saw the town was Westfield, all I could think of were the two large shopping centres of that name. 

Regardless I am delighted to say that once I started the book (and read the blurb properly), I realised that I couldn't be more wrong, and that in fact Westfield is a delightful countryside village and Baker St just happens to be the name of the street where Amanda has bought a shop, after her life in London went wrong. 

The boutique in question is called A New Lease of Life and sells shabby chic items, home made items, and things that have been upcycled. However what really makes this book the brilliant story that it is, are "The Ladies". 

"The Ladies" are a group of good intention meddling women in the village, who are determined to matchmake Amanda, with the local vet, coming up with all sorts of relatively obvious schemes to get the pair together, with generally not fantastic consequences! 

With a great group of personalities as well as a keen eye for scheming, they also launch a campaign to save the local town hall, while using Amanda's shop as a base, under the guise of a craft club.  There are lots of crafty mentions, and at least one of them is always knitting, no matter what the situation is. 

I am incredibly impressed that this is a debut novel, although with the clear talent Rachel Dove possesses it is clear why she won the Prima Prize and this publishing deal. I am eagerly looking forward to see what else this author will write. 

The Chic Boutique on Baker St is a very easy read, and will have you smiling and enjoying yourself as you read it. I loved the book, and would love the various pets for myself, including Darcy, Pinky and Perky (and I'm not mentioning what animals any of those are!). 

Thank you to everyone that voted two weeks ago. It was a tie and I picked this one from the winning books, purely because Sheryl Browne voted for it, instead of her own book, and that the cover was staring at me from the pile as its so colourful. For everyone that said its great, I evidently agree, and I'm glad this didn't stay languishing in my TBR for ages. I as always look forward to seeing what you will pick for me this week. 

1 comment:

  1. Exactly my kind or read. Wonderful review. Well done, Rachel ... and Rachel! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...