Friday 11 March 2016

Book Review - Trust No One by Clare Donoghue

Amazon UK
Title: Trust No One (Detective Jane Bennett and Mike Lockyer series Book 3) 
Author: Clare Donoghue
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Pan McMillan
Publication Date: 10th March 2016
Rating: 4 Stars


A marriage is what you make it, isn't it? It's what you put into it. It's not just about love, it's about understanding another person's point of view. Sometimes there are things you find out about yourself and each other which means the marriage has to end. Sad, particularly when kids are involved - but all pretty normal.

Normal that is, until there's a murder.

DS Jane Bennett and DI Mike Lockyer are called in to investigate one of the South London murder squad's most difficult and distressing cases yet - where family and friends come under scrutiny in the hardest of circumstances.


Trust No One is a great example of a book that piles lies upon lies upon lies. It is fascinating to see how the case unfolds, as new information keeps coming to light that person of interest, and then another have been lying to the police about various aspects of their life and their relationship with the deceased. 

I had a strong feeling who my most likely suspect was, right from the start, and although my conviction wavered a few times, I was convinced, right up until I discovered I was completely wrong. I love detecting possible outcomes of crime books, and enjoy being outsmarted. 

At the point I requested to review this book, I was unaware that it was part of a series. Thankfully it definitely works as a standalone, although I am curious as to what happens in the first two books. 

I was loving the dynamic between Jane and Mike who are the two detectives who are leading the murder investigation into Taylor's death. He was found by his two children, and there are quite a few potential suspects, as more about Taylor's life is unravelled. 

The similarities between Jane's child and the children involved in the case, I believe led Jane to have a lot more empathy than others would towards one of the kids. We also learn a lot about Jane's family life which seems to be getting trickier by the minute. 

Trust No One is a great police procedural with a good mystery element to it. I had lots of enjoyment from trying to guess "who dunnit" and failing. Well paced book with multiple view points including occasionally from the murderer, and it was after each first person section from the murderer that I was changing my mind about who the culprit was. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Pan MacMillan for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...