Monday 8 February 2016

Book Review - Behind The Scenes by Sophie Childs - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #13

Amazon UK
Title: Behind The Scenes
Author: Sophie Childs
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: So Vain Books
Publication Date: 16th March 2015
Rating: 4 Stars


Never wear a pair of high heels on a film set no matter how good they may look! 

Bethan Brooks works in London for the ultimate boss from Hell, trying to support her wannabe rockstar boyfriend. But are The Vampire Squirrels really ever going to make it big or is she doomed to be a secretary forever? Luckily, Bethan finds the perfect escape when going to the cinema. There she loses herself in another world and forgets all about the dreaded filing and monotonous office work. Imagine her surprise when one day she encounters her favourite actor on the Tube. Suddenly, she finds herself part of the glamorous movie world she only ever dreamed about. With more at stake than she could ever realise, does she really want to know what goes on behind the scenes? 

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to meet an actor you really admire in the most unlikely of places? Well that is exactly what happened to Bethan Brooks, when she meets Vincent on the tube. From this chance meeting, Bethan's life changes completely. 

At the start she is living with her boyfriend Lee, who is determined to hit it big with is band The Vampire Squirrels, and is in a job she hates and has a boss who doesn't seem to like her either. Lee is very unsupportive of any conversation Sophie has wanting to change her life, and doesn't seem that impressed by her meeting with Vincent, but he does like some of the consequences. 

I really didn't like Lee's attitude towards Bethan, and was just willing her to come to her senses and dump him. There were two other potential boyfriends for Bethan and my initial gut feeling as to who she would end the book with was incorrect, which is always good, as it means the story kept surprising me. 

Bethan seems to be a bit naive at time, especially when it comes to relationships, and I could argue she had doormat tendencies, with how she was acting at times. 

When Bethan though gets invited Behind the Scenes, at the film Vincent is currently working on, the book really gets going, and becomes incredibly entertaining. I loved all the people that were working on the film set, and there are some great scenes. 

This is Sophie Childs' debut book, and her writing is very clear and concise, you get a great feel for the story, and I found the book was really easy and enjoyable to read. 

Thank you to all of the Sophie Childs fans that voted for Behind the Scenes to win. I will admit it wasn't the outcome I was expecting at the point the randomiser gave me last weeks selection, but I was delighted that it won.  

Please do take a look at this week's selection, and help me pick one more book to read as part of my Paris weekend event.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the review, Rachel - I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who voted for this book, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review too, I'm tempted to pick it up now myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! One that I'd definitely like to pick up for a break from my heavy reading I've been doing lately.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...