Sunday 25 October 2015

Book Review - Survival of the Christmas Spirit by Aimee Horton

Amazon UK
Title:  Survival of the Christmas Spirit
Author: Aimee Horton
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Velvet Morning Press
Publication Date: 2nd July 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


“Cooking for nineteen people will be a cinch!” Ever-optimistic Dottie Harris is preparing for the biggest and best Christmas celebration ever, and nothing—not even unexpected guests or running out of gin—will get her down. 

But as always, things don't run smoothly for Dottie, and it's not long before her two energetic children, hapless husband and a nasty stomach bug wreak havoc on her carefully planned spreadsheets. 

Can Dottie throw the perfect family Christmas (without so much as a swig of gin to help her through) or will preparing for the festivities get the best of her? One thing's for sure: This will be a Christmas to remember! 

This book was recommended to me by another blogger, and although I downloaded it, at the time, I groaned at the thought of yet another Christmas book to read. Having just had a spare hour, I thought I would read it, as I knew it was a short story. All I can say is Thank You to Sophie at Reviewed the Book. I loved this. 

This is 56 pages of non stop Christmas humour that anyone who has ever had 4 last minute guests foisted upon them on Christmas Eve, will completely relate to. 

Christmas Day has been planned to a tee, Dottie even had a spreadsheet, and I think she thought everything was going too smoothly, which is always a dangerous thought. Cue last minute shopping in over crowded supermarkets, toddlers that don't want to go bed, and lets just say an incident with a two animals (one alive, one due to be cooked). 

Christmas Day in the Harris household was full of fun, and good will, and a great family spirit. And I think that is what sums up this story. Lots of laughs and giggles, and a great look at family life. 

This is the first book I have read by Aimee Horton, and based on this example of her writing, I know I want to read a slightly longer release in the future. 

2 comments:

  1. I have this on my kindle. May find an hour this week. Thanks for the tip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Tanya, I have a review coming up of Mothers Ruined on 11th November which is the next one in the series, and equally funny.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...