Tuesday 15 September 2015

Book Review - Next of Kin by Sue Welfare

Amazon UK
Title: Next of Kin
Author: Sue Welfare
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied review copy
Publisher: Castle Yard Publishing
Publication Date: 1st July 2015
Rating: 4.5 Stars


He seemed like the perfect tenant . . . 
Home should be where the heart is, but for Sarah, it becomes a place of fear, menace and terrifying choices. 
Her new lodger seems like the dream tenant for the rambling Cambridge town house that Sarah shares with her brother, Ryan. 
But before long it’s clear that their guest has his own chilling plans for all of them. 
When Ryan finds himself in deep water, Sarah faces losing all her hopes, dreams and any chance of a happy ever after. 
Just how far will she go to protect the people she loves? And will even the ultimate sacrifice be enough to save them… 

I was surprised but delighted when I had a message from Sue Welfare asking me if I wanted to review a copy of her new psychological thriller, Next of Kin. I had previously read a few of her rom-coms and enjoyed them, so jumped at the chance to read her first attempt at a new genre. 

I was definitely not disappointed. This is a fantastic attempt at a psychological thriller. Right from the start, my mind was wandering back to the story, while I was at work, and I found the writing flowed very well. The narrative is a mix of first person, Sarah, as she explains her story to the police, as well as third person mainly focusing on Sarah, but also giving more indepth on her brother Ryan, her lodger Woody and her love interest Josh. 

From the start you know something has happened, but what starts as a quite gentle story, a story of siblings, and of the unconditional love you have of a family member, soon starts to get a bit more serious. 

I found I was suspecting some things, only to be wrong, and other times as the story progressed I could sort of see some of it coming, but not the entirety of it. 

Although I was completely gripped by the book and found it becoming almost impossible to put down, I didn't feel as immersed in the story as perhaps I have been by other books of the genre in the past. I feel this would be a great book for anyone just starting to read this genre, as although it does ramp up your adrenalin, and the intrigue is definitely there, it didn't completely terrify me, which made a pleasant change. 

Due to the nature of this book, being one where the story telling is linear in timeframe, and I feel if you were to re-read it there were probably hints very early in the book, as to certain aspects of the villain, I can't really say too much about story specifics. 

I did find the villain to be incredibly clever, and once you sort of twig various things, you see just how smart he is, with things he says to people, clearly laying a foundation for his future plans. 

Very addictive reading, and I really hope this isn't the last time that Sue Welfare turns to her dark side. 

Thank you to Sue Welfare for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...