Sunday 16 August 2015

Book Review - A Proper Family Adventure by Chrissie Manby - Paperback Summer

Amazon UK
Title: A Proper Family Adventure
Author: Chrissie Manby
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton 
Publication Date: 16th July 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Could you spend two weeks at sea with your family?

Thanks to an unexpected windfall, the Bensons are treating themselves to a luxury cruise. With stop-offs in Barcelona, Rome and Marseilles, plus constant entertainment onboard, it's a dream come true . . . Or is it? Last time Chelsea Benson went on holiday with this lot she nearly went crazy.

Her mum and sister are convinced Chelsea's boyfriend Adam will propose on the ship. Chelsea's sure he won't, but she can't help feeling butterflies as they set sail. Is Adam going to pop the question, or will the only thing to pop be Chelsea's ego?

Onboard dramas, family upheavals, memories and sunshine . . . Fall in love with the Benson family, and treat yourself to a five-star family cruise, all without leaving your sofa.

A proper summer holiday read by a properly amazing author! In answer to the first question of the blurb, I spent 1 week at sea with my mum last year, and have made a vow that I won't be doing that again. I will be going on another cruise though, very soon, and reading this book has put me properly in the holiday mood. I can't wait to jump on board my own Mediterranean cruise. 

Grandpa Bill is very fond of saying "I've won the lottery" when in reality he rarely plays it. For his 87th birthday, his great grand children including Jack buy him a ticket. Imagine the whole Benson's family shock when he really does get a good win on the lottery. 

They decide to spend a good portion of it on a holiday for the whole family, and not the cheap All Inclusive in Lanzarote that was where we were introduced to the Bensons in A Proper Family Holiday. This time, they decide to go on a Mediterranean cruise sailing from Southampton for two weeks. 

The whole of the Bensons and Buchanans are invited, however due to various circumstances its only the majority of the Bensons that go on the trip. What follows is the antics of this loveable family as they spend a fortnight on board of floating resort, full of fun and frolics. 

Some of the descriptions of the ports of call made me really want to go to those places and do those excursions especially Ajaccio, Corsica, and the turtles and tortoises. I love an excursion that involves animals, but after the Bensons spend some time with the monkeys in Gibraltar, I may give that a pass if I am ever fortunate enough to visit. 

This book can be read as a standalone, and I believe if you haven't read the previous two books, you would still enjoy this, however I would urge you to read all of the books about this family, as they are all terrific books.

If you have read the previous books, but it was a while ago, there are enough references to key incidents in the first two, to remind you of all the details.  As a third book in a series, I have flown through reading it, I loved every second of it and can't wait for November for the next book to come out. The more books I read about the Bensons, the more I love them. 

If you are looking for a fun and entertaining  book this summer, then read A Proper Family Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...