Monday 10 August 2015

Book Review - Do You Remember? by Mandy Baggot - #HIReadathon

Amazon UK
Title: Do You Remember?
Author: Mandy Baggot
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Publication Date: 25th July 2013
Rating: 5 Stars


2005 was the most traumatic year of Emma Barron's life. It was the year her mother died and the year she met Guy Duval. Eight years on, she's an English teacher with a doting boyfriend and a young son. Life's been hard but now it's comfortable. She's settled and content...so why would she risk it all for another chance with the man that broke her heart? 

Guy's an international renowned footballer newly signed to a top UK team. But behind the confident facade is a man determined to drown the horrors from his childhood with fame, success and money. 

Unable to confide in her best friend, Ally, Emma tries to hold her life together as her heart is pulled apart. Did she turn her back on love too soon? 

Neither of them know what really happened on 5 September 2005 and as events are slowly revealed can anyone cope with the truth? 

Another brilliant book by Mandy Baggot. I was hooked right from the start, and barely put my kindle down until I had completed reading this wonderful story. It was a very enjoyable read, and all I wanted to know was what happened between Emma and Guy in the past. 

Eight years ago, Emma was on holiday on a campsite in France, while grieving for her recently deceased mother, she meets Guy Duval. They have an intense romance until he breaks her heart. 

Fast forward Eight years, and Emma  is an English teacher, mother to Dominic, and in a relationship with Chris. Guy however is now an international footballer and signs for Emma's local club. He also agrees to cut the ribbon in Emma's best fried Ally's new Health and Wellness centre. Within minutes they are clearly back in each other's thoughts and there is still a clear connection between them.

With the story told both in the present and the past, we are told of an intense love affair between Emma and Guy, but they are also both hiding things about what happened in France all those years ago.  There are also chapters that focus on Guy's current life, and when some of the past catches up with him, you get a hint at what he is hiding. 

With the scenes set on the campsite, I had a real sense of what the site was like, complete with facilites and despite not being a fan of camping, I would have loved to have been there myself. 

I found Do You Remember to be a fabulous love story between two people who seemed clearly destined to be with each other. There are many ups and downs during the book, but one thing is for sure, I was enjoying every second of this. 

I have now read two of Mandy's books within a few months, and still can't believe I hadn't truly discovered this author before this year, despite having some of her books on my kindle. I am greatly looking forward to catching up with the rest of her back catalogue, as if this is a good sample of her work, then I'm sure the rest are excellent stories too. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely review, Rachel. I'm really glad you enjoyed your camping trip to France! I've done my share of camping but never somewhere as lovely as the site Emma and Guy stayed at!

    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...