Monday 9 April 2018

Book Review - Anna by Amanda Prowse

Amazon UK
Title: Anna
Author: Amanda Prowse
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Head of Zeus
Publication Date: 8th March 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


There are two sides to every love story. This is Anna's.

Anna Cole grew up poor, but her mother's love made her feel rich every day. Then her mother died, and Anna was sent to a care home. As a teenager, Anna vowed that one day, she would have children of her own, and create the happy, noisy family life she always craved.

Then, one day, Anna meets Theo Montgomery in a lift. Theo has kind eyes, but a sad past. His family were rich, but his childhood was full of neglect. Theo can't imagine bringing a child into this cruel world, but he does want a soulmate. Someone to love him unconditionally; someone with whom he can share his family's wealth.

Theo and Anna are two damaged souls, from two different worlds. Is their love for each other enough to let go of the pain of their pasts? Or will Anna and Theo break each others' hearts?

I'm really in two minds about this book but I have been since this and Theo were announced. I can't fully explain it but two books showing the both sides of a love story should be ideal for me, but even having finished Anna, and having "met" Theo, I'm just not sure I want to read the next book.

I think part of it is although I liked Anna, and absolutely was hooked reading her childhood and the tougher parts of her life, I just didn't like who she became with the love of her life.   

Don't get me wrong while I was able t concentrate on the book, I felt the same pull I usually get when reading a book by this author, utter amazement at great the writing is, being drawn into the story and really believing in the characters that they are real people.  

Although I had mixed feelings towards Anna and Theo, the supporting cast were fabulous, I don't really want to name them as to give them context may give away parts of the story that are best discovered for yourself, but there are memorable characters from each section of Anna's past.  

The first half of the story brings us Anna's life from age 6 all the way up current day, and we visit each age for a period of time, so get a feel for Anna at various stages of her early life.  She had one tough childhood which I wouldn't wish on anyone, and the one thing she is craving the whole time is her own family.  

I absolutely love the intermittent letters to Fifi and Fox, and also Anna's alphabet game, both of which give a good indication as to elements of her personality. 

There were a few occasions during the book, including once while I was on public transport when I was on the verge of tears while reading this. At points it definitely gave me the feels, while at others I was wondering why I wasn't feeling the need to read this in one sitting. 

No doubt though that this is very good book, from an extremely talented author, I just think I may not have been in the right mind set for this particular story when I read it.  

Thank you to Netgalley and Head of Zeus for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

Thank you to everyone that vote for Anna this week, really appreciate being made to read this, as I may have left it for longer before getting to it, as I have been tending to stay away from emotional reads recently.  So what will you have me read this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...