Wednesday 10 January 2018

Book Review - El Dorado? No! Heathrow Airport by Tony Levy - #HolidayReading Book 1

Book 1 of 30 that I read on my holiday to Fuerteventura in December 2017

Amazon UK
Title: El Dorado? No! Heathrow Airport
Author: Tony Levy
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: MDM
Publication Date: 25th November 2017 
Rating: 3.5 Stars


Former Security Guard, Tony Levy reveals the shocking truth of life inside one of Britain's busiest airports. He exposes the pressures faced by its 76,000+ staff, the traits of pampered celebrities as they pass through the terminals, and the weird, wonderful, and sometimes shocking behaviour of other passengers. Tony delivers his unique portrayal in a sometimes comedic manner, and it was this humour that relieved the intensity of life inside Heathrow's bustling terminals.

Not my normal sort of read but since I love travel and have used Heathrow airport loads, I couldn't resist purchasing this book when I discovered it existed.

There is plenty that is likeable and enjoyable about the book. I absolutely loved all the interactions with passengers where im sat rolling my eyes at just how stupid people can be. 

In fact I was shocked at just how many people going through airports didn't know coins and mobile phones contained metal, and thus would set off the detectors. 

Part 2 which takes in Tony's colleagues and various moments of disbelief with them again was interesting and amusing, but really opened my eyes was all the times Tony commented on the management behind Security at terminal 5.

Unfortunately due to the way his career finishes I think it may have influenced some of the last part that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. 

I have to hope that the book was, or is currently planning on being serialised, as the sheer amount of repetition I found within pages of the first mention is inexplicable otherwise. I was almost feeling patronised that I wasn't expected to retain information throughout the book which i read cover to cover in one day at the start of my own holiday. 

I found the first few chapters a bit too dry for my taste but they did give valuable and interesting background information, but for me the book got going once we were dealing with anecdotes.

Overall an eye opener as to life at Heathrow Terminal 5, and although I never have, nor would,  I promise never to kick off ever at any airport staff, as they really don't deserve the abuse they get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...