Friday 17 November 2017

Book Review - The Walls by Hollie Overton

Amazon UK
Title:  The Walls
Author: Hollie Overton
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Cornerstone
Publication Date: 10th August 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


What if murder is your only way out?

Single mom Kristy Tucker works as a press agent for the Texas Department of Corrections handling everything on death row from inmate interviews, to chronicling the last moments during an execution. Her job exposes Kristy to the worst of humanity and it's one that's beginning to take its toll.

So when Kristy meets Lance Dobson, her son's martial arts instructor, she believes she's finally found her happy ending. She’s wrong.

Kristy soon discovers that Lance is a monster. Forced to endure his verbal and physical abuse, Kristy is serving her own life sentence . . . unless she's willing to take matters into her own hands. Perfectly poised to exploit the criminal justice system she knows so well, Kristy sets out to get rid of Lance - permanently.

210 minutes ago I started to read The Walls. I was pretty much hooked from the first few pages, and have not stopped reading it until I have just now come to the end of the book. 

Completely unputdownable it has taken me on a journey that at times were plain scary and others I was choked up with emotion. 

It tells the story of something that no-one should have to go through and just what happens when you reach the end of your tether.  What grabbed me even more than the shocking story between Kristy and Lance, was the letters that appeared between some chapters. 

They tell the story of one man on death row in Texas who was convinced of his innocence. I may be living on a different planet as until I read The Walls I was not fully aware that the death sentence was still in place in Texas, and reading a story of a press agent who sets up inmate interviews for those on death row, and that visits them in prison and witnesses their executions is completely different to anything else I have ever read. 

All of that along would have made one incredibly interesting story, but add in her new relationship with a martial arts instructor, that has fooled everyone into thinking what sort of man he really is, and you get a truly excellent book. 

I loved Baby Doll last year, and this year The Walls by Hollie Overton stepped up her writing a step further, and I am beyond eager to see what her next release will be.  Any book that has dragged me away from the work that I am obsessed with and won't let me go until I finish it, at the moment truly is fabulous, and I am delighted to have read it.  Of course I suspect I'm about to have some really bad dreams so may not be as pleased in the morning! 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Cornerstone for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...