Saturday 15 April 2017

Book Review - The Cornish Colouring Book Club by Beth Good - Back Catalogue Books



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

This is Beth Good's first full length Rom Com, that was released just before her fabulous The Oddest Little Gingerbread Shop, which I also loved. 

Amazon UK
Title: The Cornish Colouring Book Club
Author: Beth Good
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Thimblerig Books
Publication Date: 18th October 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Four twenty-somethings in a Cornish seaside town are in the worst muddle of their lives. Can joining a local Colouring Book Club change their fortunes and colour them happy again? Or have they strayed too far outside the lines?

A perfect feel-good romantic novel set in gorgeous sunny Cornwall!

For a while I've been very curious about the adult colouring book craze, so when I spotted on Amazon a book about a colouring book club, and by an author I tend to enjoy, I couldn't resist purchasing to see just how what feels like a very solitary activity could possibly have a club around it. 

What I have discovered is a book that does have a focus on colouring, but there is so much more to it than that. The two leading ladies both are dealing with huge things in their personal lives and its those stories that really makes this book as great as it is. 

For Emma is working in a library and ahs come up with the idea for this club, she is hopeful others may turn up, and she is just coming to terms with the fact that she is pregnant. It is currently a secret, and she has a whole host of decisions to make about it. 

Then there is Crystal, and her larger than life mother Fiona. Fiona encourages Crystal to take up colouring, while they are sunbathing at their beach hut, as a way of hopefully taking Crystals mind off her troubles. There are hints about what is wrong with Crystal but until it was revealed I wasn't completely sure what it would be, and just how critical it is.  

Fiona also persuades her daughter to come along to the colouring book club, and very shortly there are a few male romantic interests on the scene, one for each lady, even if they aren't necessarily convinced they want a man at the moment. 

I loved Crystal's first encounter with one of these adult colouring books, how unsure she was at first, until before long she was getting annoyed that she didn't have the right shade of pen that she wanted for a specific details of her picture.  I loved the descriptions of all the various colouring books, and having seen some in bookshops, I could imagine just how intricate the designs would be. 

At the club itself where friendships are forged along with an hour of light hearted conversation between like minded people, there was occasionally discussion on shading techniques, and it amused me how the most unlikely looking of people were showing up, which just shows how appearances can be deceiving. 

Set to a lovely Cornish coastal backdrop, the Cornish Colouring Book Club is a charming, yet uplifting romantic comedy, with far more to it than meets the eye. It is an easy to read book, that had me hooked from the first page, with wanting to know more about Emma and Crystal. This may be Beth Good's first full length romance, but I am positive it won't be her last, as she writes very relatable to characters that I enjoyed reading about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...