Thursday 13 April 2017

Book Review - The Choice by Samantha King

Amazon UK
Title: The Choice
Author: Samantha King
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Piatkus
Publication Date: 20th April 2017
Rating: 4.5 Stars


Then:

Madeleine lived for her children. She'd always believed she'd die for them, too. But on the morning of her twins' tenth birthday her love was put to the test when a killer knocked on their door and forced her to make a devastating choice: which child should live, and which should die - her son, or her daughter?

Now:

Madeleine stands silent on the periphery of her now fractured family, trying desperately to unravel why her world was so suddenly blown apart. But while everyday life continues around her, memories of everything leading up to that tragic day return in agonising flashes.

And that's when she realises her family's life still hangs terrifyingly in the balance...

Every time I thought I had got to grips with this story, it picked me up and threw me off balance into a different direction. I am reeling from everything. 

It's weird as for most of Part 1, I was thinking about giving up reading this, as I thought I had everything figured out and I just didn't feel that bothered, but I was in a forgiving mood and thought I would read on a small bit more, and then part 2 kicked in and I could barely put it down from then on. 

A parent's worst nightmare must be for one of your children to die. For Maddie its even worse when she is forced to pick which of her twins will live and which will die from a crazed gunman at their front door. And then we see how she is having to deal with the consequences of her decision and that fateful day. 

That is pretty much all I can say about the plot, as the book takes you onto a tremendous journey, but given we only have Maddie's point of view and from the start she seems rather unreliable, its so hard to know what to believe and what not to. 

There are many facets to this story and they are all incredibly gripping, and although I wasn't keen on part 1 it was vital information so that you felt more keenly for all the characters later on in the book. There are twists and turns galore and I was left gasping for breath a few times. 

All the layers of this story have been put together in a very clever way, so although at all times you will be guessing and completely sure you know what will happen next, I can assure you, you are probably wrong! 

The Choice is the first book I've read by Samantha King, and I am incredibly impressed. I found myself drawn into the story and the majority of the book was a very fast read and addictive. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Piatkus for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...