Sunday 9 April 2017

Book Review - The Big Little Wedding in Carlton Square by Lily Bartlett



Fab Firsts is my new regular Sunday feature, that is going to be highlighting books that are firsts. When interviewing authors, it will be about their first book, as well as other firsts in their lives. When reviewing books for this feature, there will be a mix of debuts, first books in a series, the first time I read an author, and possibly other firsts depending on what I can think of!

If you are an author wanting to take part in Fab Firsts then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you.

I hope you enjoy this look at a variety of hopefully fabulous firsts, while making some sort of dent in my review and paperback TBRs which are my current main focus!

Well this is Michelle Gorman's first book writing as Lily Bartlett and such a great book it is too! 

Amazon UK
Title:  The Big Little Wedding in Carlton Square
Author: Lilly Bartlett
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Publisher supplied copy
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Publication Date: 7th April 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


When Emma’s boyfriend Daniel pops the question with a ring the size of a small country, she suddenly realises just how different they are. She’s the Eastenders to his Made in Chelsea. She wants a low-key wedding with close friends and family in Uncle Colin’s pub, while Daniel’s mother is expecting a society do that their high-brow guests won’t forget!

How on earth can Emma put together a celebration fit for Lords and Ladies on a shoestring budget? Not to mention the fact her cross-dressing Uncle Barbara wants to be a bridesmaid, her best mate Kelly can’t stand Daniel’s best friend Cressida, and her dad is too proud to accept any help from Daniel’s family towards the costs.

There’s three months to go until the big day. Will Emma’s happy-ever-after end in disaster?

Absolutely wonderful romantic comedy that is guaranteed to lift your spirits and put a great big grin on my face. As a North West Londoner, I was especially  amused to see this was a romance of an East End London girl, to a rather more upper class Chelsea based man. 

However until the proposal, Emma hadn't actually realised that Daniel came from a completely different way of life from her, and as they plan together a wedding on a shoe string budget, it really is East meets West (London) as they all see how the other half lives. 

Emma loves Daniel's mother, but she has completely different ideas to her on every single aspect of wedding planning, and Daniel although he knows there is a budget, well his idea of economising was using the same chauffeur for more than one journey during the day, whereas Emma's thoughts on getting to and from venues involved walking! 

It's not just Emma and Daniel that need to find a happy medium, its equally amusing when the two sets of parents meet, and also when the friends merge. Wedding dress shopping included two very different experiences, and what really amazed me was just how inventive Emma and her family and friends were when it came to the nitty gritty details of the wedding. 

Let's not forget that in Emma's extended family is her Uncle Barbara who is very comfortable in a dress, and rarely wears male clothes anymore, and Auntie Rosie who tends to go walkabout. Her father is unfortunately suffering from a horrible disease, and I really felt for her, as I know what its like to have a dad  with MS. 

I don't think there was a second of this book that I didn't completely enjoy. I loved everything about it, and there are some great surprises in it too. And the wedding, without spoilers let me just say that although we have seen all the preparations, I still couldn't believe how everything came together on the day, and I just thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. 

This is a fabulous feel good story, that is easy to follow, that made me want to keep on reading to keep the good feelings going, and has been written by a clearly talented author. I am just crossing my fingers that there may be a sequel as I really want to see more from this colourful cast of characters.  

Thank you so much to Samantha Gale at Harper Impulse for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...