Monday 3 October 2016

Book Review - The Christmas Promise by Sue Moorcroft - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #40

Amazon UK
Title: The Christmas Promise
Author: Sue Moorcroft
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 6th October 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


For Ava Bliss, it’s going to be a Christmas to remember …

On a snowy December evening, Sam Jermyn steps into the life of bespoke hat maker Ava. Sparks fly, and not necessarily the good ones.

Times are tough for Ava – she’s struggling to make ends meet, her ex-boyfriend is a bully, and worst of all, it’s nearly Christmas.

So when Sam commissions Ava to make a hat for someone special, she makes a promise that will change her life. She just doesn’t know it yet… 

The Christmas Promise is much more than just another Christmas book that is likely to be doing the rounds this year. This is a story with so much depth and heart to it, that it contains all of Sue Moorcroft's normal talents and seems to enhance them and make it even better. There is so much going on in this book, but yet its not confusing, and all follows a logical plot line, but yet there are surprises, and laughs along the way too. 

I initially struggled with this book, but that was more to do with things going on in my life, and the book touching things that were happening a bit too close to home, and thus distracting me from the story. It is not the fault of the story, but did make it that bit harder to get to grips with the story originally. 

However once I finally got into a reading zone the book flowed for me so well, I lost track of everything that was going on around me. I loved Ava's story so much, she has massive struggles with an ex-boyfriend, she is attempting to make a go of her bespoke couture hat business, her best friend has a crush on the guy who she is faxu dating, and that man's mother has such a touching and emotional storyline surrounding her. 

After working out who was who, I found the pacing of the book worked really well, and I was just engrossed in the book. The writing is very good, I loved the style, and even more I loved the short trip to Middledip during the book. For those that don't know Middledip is the village that Sue Moorcroft has set a whole series of books there, so it was great to see some older characters with cameo appearances. 

The descriptions of the various hats that Ava can make, all sound really impressive and creative, and on a couple of occasions I found myself having a quick google to fully appreciate the type to hat being discussed.. as I'll admit I'm not a hat wearer myself, so had no real idea of the names of the various types. 

There are certainly some deep and serious issues running through the book, so even though it has Christmas in the title, don't expect a fully light hearted book, as this is so much more than that, and for the better. The issues being touched on, have clearly been well researched and even in the more extreme circumstances everything felt very realistic, and I could easily see the storyline involving some rather private photos playing out in some all over the country, in a fairly realistic way. 

The Christmas Promise has a lot going for it, which is why I love the story so much. As far as I know this is the first book from the author in a couple of years, and I just hope she won't take a similar amount of time, before the next one, as I really do love Sue Moorcroft books, and this has reminded me exactly why. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Avon for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

If you would like to know more about Sue Moorcroft, she is my contestant on Truth or Lie this week, on Friday 7th October. 

Thank you to everyone who voted for The Christmas Promise, it was easily the best turn out for ages, and does make me feel a lot better about the fact that Rachel's Random Reads is about to be fairly Christmas-centric for the next couple of months. I love reading all your comments when you pick a book for me, and I know that Sue Moorcroft saw them and that it gave her a boost too..so thank you from both of us for this week. 

1 comment:

  1. A fantastic review, Rachel! Thank you so much. I'm sorry that some of the events in the early part of the book touched a nerve with you. Big hugs. I'm glad that you loved the book as it progressed, though.

    And, yes, definitely, the fab comments from those who voted for The Christmas Promise made me feel a million dollars. Thanks to each and every one.

    Sue x
    PS The next book, 'Just for the Holidays', is due out in May 2017 so not so long to wait this time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...