Sunday 11 September 2016

Book Review - When Only Cupcakes Will Do by Daisy James

Amazon UK
Title: When Only Cupcakes Will Do
Author: Daisy James
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date: 4th August
Rating: 5 Stars


When life gives you lemons, make lemon-drizzle cupcakes…

Lucie thought that proposing to her boyfriend in Tiffany’s would be the best day of her life. Until he said no. In just a few seconds, her whole world is turned upside-down! And when she accidentally switches cocoa powder for chilli powder at work, she finds herself out of a job, too…

Baking has always made life better in the past, but can Lucie really bake her way to happiness? Starting her own company, selling cupcakes out of an old ice cream van might just be the second chance that Lucie needs!

Of course, she never expected to find love along the way…

It would be remiss of me if I didn't start by stating what a simply gorgeous cover this book has, and with the mention of cupcakes in the title too, I was already put straight into the mindset of this should be a fabulously tasty story.  I'm delighted to say that the icing does complete justice to the filling of this book, offering us some delicious morsels of humour, cakes, re-finding joy with your family, and an Italian man of note! 

After Lucie, proposes to her boyfriend, and getting a less than favourable reaction, she goes into a slight meltdown and makes a huge error at work, mixing up cocoa powder and chilli powder, on a dish for a food critic. When she meets the critic the exchange they have ends up going viral and Lucia needs to re-evaluate her life. 

However Lucie's passion is desserts and she has always wanted to more with cupcakes, so what better than a Travelling Cupcake Company with her sister who is also a talented baker. Between them they start a fabulous sounding business,and I was I had been in kitchen alongside them at all times, as well as present at the various parties they put on. 

I loved the various scrumptious flavours of the cupcakes, as well the level of creativity in the cake pops, I had to google cake pop animals at one point, just so I could fully appreciate what was being made, as I don't think I've seen any properly before. There is a huge light heartedness, that runs through the whole book, especially with Lucie's renewed friendship with an unexpected man. 

I loved how Lucie's character evolved over the course of this easy to follow, summery story that I would recommend as a great weekend read. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Carina for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks ever so much for featuring my brand new novel When Only Cupcakes Will Do. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. Daisy:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...