Tuesday 20 September 2016

Book Review - The Day I Lost You by Fionnuala Kearney

Amazon UK
Title: The Day I Lost You
Author: Fionnuala Kearney
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: 22nd September 2016
Rating: 3.5 Stars


THE DAY I LOST YOU WAS THE DAY I DISCOVERED I NEVER REALLY KNEW YOU

When Jess’s daughter, Anna, is reported lost in an avalanche, everything changes.

Jess’s first instinct is to protect Rose, Anna’s five-year-old daughter. But then she starts to uncover Anna’s other life - unearthing a secret that alters their whole world irrevocably . . .

THE DAY I LOST YOU WAS THE DAY YOU TORE OUR FAMILY APART

The Day I Lost You is a well written story, and is the story of Jess, Theo, Anna and Rose, and how one avalanche can change the outcomes of so many lives. I believe the book is supposed to be highly emotionally charged, and a real weepy, but apart from on perhaps two occasions, I just wasn't feeling it. Whether that is because I am wired abnormally, or whether its because the book just didn't quite work in that respect is probably not for me to decide. 

The narrative is split into a couple of different view points, there is Anna, who we only get to know through her blog posts, and what is revealed by others slowly over the months after the avalanche. There is Jess who is Anna's mother and Rose's grandma, who now has full responsibility for a 5 year old, and who is struggling with grief and just believing that the worst has happened.  We also see things from Theo's perspective, he is Jess' best friend, and going through a tough time of his own. Theo's significance becomes more apparent as the story progresses, and at times I really was wondering if he was as nice as he seems. 

Anna is the focal point of the book, and as the truth about her young life emerges, I found myself wondering how much I really liked her, and as a result how much sympathy I really had with the family. 

With the exception of Rose, and Finn (Theo's son), I'm not sure there were that many characters I particularly connected with. Yes the story is tragic, and there is some degree of hope, but overall I just don't feel the book worked all that well for me, despite being able to clearly see that author was easily capable of writing a story that would draw you in and keep you engaged for the duration. 

Unfortunately although I did enjoy elements of the story, I suspect I may have picked the wrong book for my mood, as it just didn't quite hit me the way I would expect it would others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...