Thursday 9 July 2015

Book Review - It's Now or Never by Jill Steeples

Amazon UK
Title: It's Now or Never
Author: Jill Steeples
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date: 29th June 2015
Rating: 3.5 Stars


‘For Jen Faraday - Not to be opened, in any circumstances, until April 2016’

When smooth-talking Alex Fellows tells Jen Faraday he can predict her future – and leaves a note with the bartender for her to collect in one year’s time – she thinks it’s just a line. After all, how can a man she’s known for only one night see what her future holds? Or maybe it’s not too hard. Recently her life has been a series of things she hasn’t done. She didn’t go to college – family trouble. She didn’t get married – dumped. And she hasn’t yet handed in her notice at work – too scared! If she had to predict her own future, would it be ‘More of the same’?

Or maybe not. After all, she’s just had a passionate one-night stand with a man who is rich and ridiculously good looking and totally not her type. That was unexpected. And she is going to resign from her job... Things are already changing. Whatever that prediction says – and how Jen wishes she knew - perhaps this year is the year she takes control of her destiny!

Jill Steeples seems to be one of those authors that I had been buying all of her releases, and then due to the age old problem of so many enticing books and so little time, I have failed to read anything by her until now. So once I spotted this new book by Jill on Netgalley, I couldn't resist, knowing I would definitely read it from that source. And I am so glad that I have taken the punt, and that I already have more books by Jill Steeple ready for me, as I loved this book. 

It's Now or Never had a very interesting premise - Jen meets Alex at her best friend's wedding, they go to the pub afterwards, get talking and he writes a prediction for the future, that he leaves in the bar for Jen to collect 1 year later, and for her only the to see how good his predictions for the future really are. 

In the mean time, Jen's gramps hands her a letter from her mum, that she had read shortly after her mum's death, but hasn't thought about or re-read since. She reads this letter and with the urging from her mum, she decides to make various life changes. 

I found this to be a very light hearted, easy to read book, that was very enjoyable, but at times did feel a bit shallow. I would have preferred the book to be a bit longer, and to have included more depth, especially to main characters Jen and Alex, so that I felt like I knew them a bit better. 

Jen in her changes in work, becomes very busy, but also takes on a couple of temp jobs. Her first temp job is well worth reading about, it was hilarious, while the small amount of details we get about another one of her temping gigs, sounded as boring as it made Jen!

We also see a lot from Jen and Alex's best friends Angie and Tom. But again my main problem with them is although they were clearly side characters, they didn't feel very fleshed out. They just made the odd appearance. 

The lack of depth, made it harder for me to really feel anything for the characters, to really care or empathise. So although I loved the book, I have had to reduce the rating I have given it, as ultimately I like feeling as though I know my characters fully. Apart from that I loved the fast pacing of the story, the sense of humour in it and when you finally find out what the prediction letter says, I was shocked (in a good way!). 

It's Now or Never is fabulous for when you want a nice quick book, if you only like easy reading on holiday then this would be great to take with you. 

Thank you so much to Carina and Netgalley for my copy of this book. This was my honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...