Monday 13 July 2015

Book Review - I Followed the Rules by Joanna Bolouri

Amazon UK
Title: I Followed the Rules
Author: Joanna Bolouri
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Quercus
Publication Date: 2nd July 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Rule 1: Never ask him on a first date. Rule 2: Laugh admiringly at all his jokes. Rule 3: Always leave him wanting more. 
... wtf?!

Have you heard of The Rules of Engagement? It's a book that promises to teach you to find the man of your dreams in ten easy steps. Unsurprisingly, I don't own a copy. What is it, 1892?

But I'm a journalist, and I've promised to follow it to the letter and write about the results. Nevermind that my friends think I'm insane, I'm stalking men all over town and can't keep my mouth shut at the best of times.

My name is Cat Buchanan. I'm thirty-six years old and live with my daughter in Glasgow. I've been single for six years, but that's about to change. After all, I'm on a deadline.

I Followed the Rules and this is what happened.

I Followed the Rules is hilarious and very good fun, it follows Cat Buchanan a single mother, with 8 year old daughter Grace, as she tries to get a new boyfriend. Cat is also a columnist, which is going downhill a bit, so a colleague suggests she follows the ultimate dating guide "The Rules of Engagement" and write about her experiences with it.

Just one small problem, Cat disagrees with everything that is written in the rules, mainly as it seems outdated, and flies in the face of feminism, and means she will have to be something she isn't. But is willing to go along with it with a hefty dose of scepticism.

This is a book that follows Cat as she is attempting to follow these rules, and the funny tales they provide her. She has here fair share of nightmare dates, but she does manage to get a date using these rules and it goes from there. 

However this isn't the only man she meets during this experiment and its soon clear she has stronger feelings for one of the men than the other. 

Cat is a fantastic character, she is down to earth, a fabulous mother to Grace, a good sister and best friend, and isn't even too bitter towards her ex. She is the sort of person you would be honoured to have as your best friend. I loved Cat's daughter Grace, she is a such a contrast to Jason, the ragamuffin tomboy child of Cat's best friend Rose. Rose and Cat's friendship is also great to read, they are a couple of lovely ladies.

 I Followed the Rules is entertaining, and with what is revealed about the Rules of Engagement, could equally be used as a dating guide itself. However it is far more than just a dating book. I enjoyed every second of I Followed the Rules, and absolutely love Joanna Bolouri's writing style. 

Thanks so much to Quercus and Netgalley for this review copy. This was my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...