Friday 19 June 2015

Book Review - The Thirty List by Eva Woods

Amazon UK
Title: The Thirty List
Author: Eva Woods
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Mills & Boon
Publication Date: 18th June 2015
Rating: 4 Star


Everyone has one
That list.

The things you were supposed to do before you turn thirty.

Jobless, broke and getting a divorce, Rachel isn’t exactly living up to her own expectations. And moving into grumpy single dad Patrick’s box room is just the soggy icing on top of her dreaded thirtieth birthday cake.

Eternal list-maker Rachel has a plan – an all new set of challenges to help her get over her divorce and out into the world again – from tango dancing to sushi making to stand-up comedy.

But as Patrick helps her cross off each task, Rachel faces something even harder; learning to live – and love – without a checklist.

I had been really looking forward to this book. It sounded just my sort of thing, plus the main character shares my name, and I'm only a year older than her. I figured it may give me any idea of where my life should be going! Rachel's life though is quite different from mine though, and apart from Patrick, I think I prefer my life. 

I found Rachel to be a hard character to fully like, yes she is going through a divorce, and I appreciate that must be hard, but she seems to be just a bit whiny, and I really didn't completely get to grips with her best friends either. There seemed to be more moaning than anything else. 

What really saves this book  for me though are two things. The List and Patrick (plus Alex & Max). Patrick is a newly single dad, living with 4 year old, and loveable dog, Max. Patrick is struggling a bit by himself so advertises for someone to share his home, and in exchange for no rent, do a few light housekeeping and au-pair type tasks. Rachel being desperate for somewhere to live, after her soon to be ex-husband kicks her out, takes Patrick up on this. 

Rachel's friends have decided the best way for her to get over the post break-up, pre-divorce slump, is to create a sort of bucket list, of experiences Rachel should have, that broaden her horizons. When she is explaining this to Patrick he decides to make his own list. 

A large amount of the book is Rachel and Patrick taking part in the various items on the list. These are my favourite bits, as most of them are really well told, and in the case of their attempts at stand up comedy, are surprisingly funny. 

You will soon discover there is nothing Rachel likes more than a list. She is always writing them for everything, and large amounts of her lists are interlinked into the story, often giving short anecdotes into incidents in her past. These are a nice and easy to follow story telling device, that give you more background to Rachel and her friends. 

There are many comic moments in this book, and The Thirty List is an enjoyable, easy to read book about friendship and picking up your life after a bad break up. For those of you who have taken one look at the publisher of this book (Mills & Boon) and expected a blatant romance of some sort, you will be surprised. There is the starts of a tentative romance, but its more friendship than anything else featured. There are also some attempts at Rachel and Patrick to start dating again, but with hilarious (and somewhat familiar) consequences. 

I will admit I did struggle a bit with the book at the beginning but I believe it was my frame of mind and not the book. I am glad I got past my struggle, and by the final quarter, I was dying to know how everything turned out for all characters. 

Thank you to Mills & Boon and Netgalley for my review copy of this book. This was my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I like the idea behind the story. I'm not good with lists, so I'm always wondering how anyone else does it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...